On this special culinary and cooking tour of Spain you will be based in Santiago de Compostela, the historic capital of Galicia on the Atlantic North-western coast of Spain. You will get the chance to learn in-depth about the gastronomy of Galicia by cooking side-by-side with an Expert Galician Chef, at the fabulous RestauranteO Curro da Parra, offering creative cooking in Galicia. The class will be based around traditional ingredients/products of the area, but renewed with creative-modern techniques and presentation of the dishes prepared.
Apart from the cooking lesson we will explore the historic monuments and local food market of Santiago, in addition to it's surroundings so we can admire the lush inland countryside. Then follow down the Rias Baixas coast to see the contrasts of landscape from inland and coastal Galicia. We will pass through small pilgrimage and fishing villages, visiting noble pazos (manors) to see the popular architecture of this region. As well along the way we will make culinary visits to see how the honey, wine, cultivation/factories of mussels, scallops and many other food related aspects of this rich land.
This tour is a slow-paced food/wine experience to get a chance to stroll along the ports and old streets while enjoying exclusive visits like to a winery making the highly-acclaimed Albarino white wines of the D.O. Rias Baixas. We will also dine in a few hand-picked restaurant with a mix of local flavors offering creative dishes based on fine local products, to traditional taverns right near the docks offering an abundance of fresh seafood (Spider Crab, Bay Prawns, Lobster, etc...) caught just that morning... delectable “finger-food”!
ABOUT THE COOKING VENUE:
RESTAURANTE O CURRO DA PARRA The restaurant O Curro da Parra is situated in the heart of Compostela, near the old market, and purchased daily fresh products to develop the menu.
Located in a traditional granite house with two floors, the refurbishment of the premises was designed as a welcoming and intimate, which is an eye for detail. It seamlessly blends contemporary decor, respecting the elegance of stone. Light is used masterfully: engaging the guest, create different rooms and enhances the beauty of architecture popular in Galicia.
The Gastrobar combines the best tapas of the day. At the entrance is the kitchen, in which the material is used primarily steel. Complete with a few tables for tapas and talk, at the entrance to the Rua Voyage.
An Unforgettable Cooking Holiday on the Atlantic Coast of Spain
CLICK ON THE PHOTOS FOR LARGER VIEW
Day by Day Itinerary:
4 Days / 3 Nights
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - Arrival to SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA the end of the Pilgrims' way and the capital of GALICIA.
- Private Transfer to your hotel in the old quarter of the city.
- *Check-in Hotel (*After 02:00PM, if you arrive before you could leave your luggage with reception and check in later on that day).
- The rest of today just relax and get ready for a packed day of culinary/cultural activities tomorrow.
- Lunch on your own.
- For dinner this evening we have booked you a table at the restaurant of the Parador.
- Overnight in Santiago de Compostela. DR
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - Breakfast. - 10:00AM: This morning meet in the lobby of the hotel your food/wine guide who will show you around Santiago old quarter and evening cooking class/dinner.
- Starting off by walking from your hotel to the Cathedral of Santiago. We will visit the inside of this important Pilgrimage Cathedral as well as the Gelmirez Palace -One of the finest examples of Romanesque Spanish architecture- where we can see a medieval kitchen and dinning room with sculptures made by the famous Maestro Mateo and paintings on the walls of gastronomic scenes from the 12th Century. Then we will visit the balconies of the Cathedral to see the view of the Plaza de Obradoiro and old quarter below.
- We then walk though the ancient streets of Santiago until reaching the open-air market of Plaza Los Abastos to see the daily catch and fresh vegetable that are brought into the market by the villagers who live close by Santiago.
- After this enjoy tapas/wines tour starting with a tapa in the market, you will try the famous Galician Pulpo A Feira (Galician Octopus Fair Style). Then off to a vinoteca with a well stocked wine cellar and serving local cheese, cured meats, etc... We will try White (Albariño, Godello, etc..) and Red (Mencia, etc...) Galician wines with commentary about the different Denominations of Origin (D.O.'s) in Galicia and characteristics of the wines tasted.
- After lunch we will further explore Santiago and then you will have some free time back at your hotel before the evening cooking class and dinner.
- 06:00PM: Our chef at O Curro da Parra will welcome us on arriving at the restaurant.
- In the kitchen our chef will explain all the dishes that will be elaborated in this menu. Hands-on participation for each course. The class will end around 08:00PM, then following the class you we be seated in the dinning room of the restaurant. Then you will be seated to enjoy the dishes you have prepared with your chef.
- Coffee and Liquors after the meal.
- Return back at your hotel in Santiago on your own.
- Overnight in Santiago de Compostela. B, TL, D
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - Rias Baixas (Low Estuaries or Bays) COAST - Breakfast.
- 09:30AM: This morning you will meet in the lobby of your hotel your food/wine guide
- Today will be dedicated to coastal cuisine, starting off by traveling down the Rias Baixas coast spending the day in the Ria de Arousa area one of the most important bays in the world for seafood production. Here we will visit various places related to the “fruits of the sea”.
- This area is known as the O SALNES valley, sub-zone of the DENOMINATION OF ORIGIN RIAS BAIXAS.
- Here we will make a special visit to an Albariño winery, BODEGA PAZO DE SEÑORANS (Or similar winery).
- After this we visit CAMBADOS village, the heart of Albariño wine country. Here is also found the Albariño wine museum which we will also visit inside.
- After this we will make our way to the small fishing village of O Grove to board a catamaran in the harbor for a visit of the Mussel farming beds which this area is so famous for. You will enjoy a looking thru the panoramic sea view at he bottom of the boat. As well tasting of the mussel on board the boat. The mussel of Galicia are well known across Spain and other parts of Europe.
- Then we will enjoy a special degustation menu with fine wines of the area at a Michelin star restaurant with a top Galician Chef.
- Return back along the coast to Santiago with a possible stop if time premits in the village of Combarro for photos of the famous horreos (stone granaries) along the port promenade.
- Upon arrival to Santiago drop off at your hotel and goodbye from your food/wine guide.
- Rest of the day and evening at your own leisure
- Dinner on your own
- Overnight in Santiago de Compostela B, L
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - Breakfast
- *Check-out of your hotel (*Before 12:00noon)
- Private transfer to Santiago de Compostela Airport B
Walk the Camino de Santiago! This version of our Camino de Santiago is designed for independent travelers who would like to walk the last 100kms/62 mi of the Pilgrimage trail with baggage transfer from accommodation to accommodation...
All Spain Highlights Coach Tour from Madrid
Group Bus Tour from Madrid visiting all of Spain. Important cities like: Barcelona, Cordoba, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Oviedo, Gijon, La Coruña, Lugo, Santiago de Compostela, Vigo, Salamanca, Merida, Seville, Ronda, Granada, Valencia, Toledo
We had a fabulous time on the Camino de Santiago! Everything worked as
it should have and all contact we had with anyone associated with
EATours was very friendly, very helpful and totally professional. You
can be sure that we will be passing the word. A real pleasure...